After assigning licenses to users for Teams Phone, you’ll then need to assign phone numbers and emergency locations.
In European countries/regions, the emergency location is associated with the phone number when you get it from Microsoft 365 or Office 365 or when you transfer a phone number over to Microsoft 365 or Office 365. In the United States, the emergency location is associated with the phone number when it’s assigned to the user. The emergency address can be changed if the user that it’s assigned to moves to a new location.
Complete the following steps to assign phone numbers to users:
- To assign a phone number in the Teams Admin Center, perform the following steps in written order:
- Navigate to the Teams admin center at https://admin.teams.microsoft.com
- Sign into the Teams admin center with an account that has the Teams Administrator role.
- In the left navigation, select Voice > Phone numbers.
- On the Phone numbers page, select an unassigned number in the list, and then select Edit.
- In the Edit pane, under Assigned to, search for the user by display name or username, and then select Assign.
- To assign or change the associated emergency location, under Emergency location, search for and then select the location.
- Depending on whether you want to send an email to the user with their phone number information, turn off or turn on Email user with telephone number information. By default, this option is turned on.
- Select Save
You can also perform these steps by using the Microsoft Teams PowerShell module.
To establish a remote PowerShell session with Teams, you first need to install the module. The Teams PowerShell module replaces the Skype for Business Online Connector module, which has been retired.
You can install the latest version of the Microsoft Teams PowerShell module with the following cmdlet in an elevated PowerShell session:
After you install the module, you can establish a remote session to your tenant with the following cmdlet:
Before assigning a phone number and emergency location, you can retrieve a list of phone numbers and locations available. This list makes it easier to find free numbers to assign and ensure you specify the correct location ID for emergency services.
To retrieve a list of phone numbers and their respective activation state, use the following cmdlet:
Get-CsOnlineTelephoneNumber | ft Id,ActivationState
To retrieve a list of emergency locations that are validated, use the following cmdlet:
Get-CsOnlineLisLocation -ValidationStatus Validated
After selecting a phone number and emergency location, use the Set-CsPhoneNumberAssignment cmdlet in a format like the one shown below to enable the user for Teams Phone:
$locID = Get-CsOnlineLisLocation -City "<City Name>" Set-CsPhoneNumberAssignment -Identity "<User name>" -PhoneNumber +15555037311 -LocationID $locID.LocationID